Monday, January 17, 2011

Manhattan

"You know what you are? You're God's answer to Job, y'know? You would have ended all argument between them. I mean, He would have pointed to you and said, y'know, "I do a lot of terrible things, but I can still make one of these." You know? And then Job would have said, "Eh. Yeah, well, you win."

"Jesus, what are future generations gonna say about us? My God! You know, someday we're gonna be like him. And he was probably one of the beautiful people, dancing and playing tennis. And now look. This is what happens to us. You know, it's important to have some kind of personal integrity. I'll be hanging in a classroom one day and I wanna make sure when I thin out that I'm... well thought of."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*** Why is life worth living

"An idea for a short story about people in Manhattan who are constantly creating these real, unnecessary, neurotic problems for themselves 'cos it keeps them from dealing with more unsolvable, terrifying problems about the universe. Let's... Well, it has to be optimistic. Well, all right, Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. Well, There are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile. Like what... okay... For me, I would say... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing... and Wilie Mays... and... the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony... and... Louis Armstrong, recording of Potato Head Blues... Swedish movies, naturally... Sentimental Education by Flaubert... Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra... those incredible Apples and Pears by Cezanne... the crabs at Sam Wo's... Tracy's face..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

+++ PS. I loved you

"Not everybody gets corrupted. You have to have a little faith in people."

No comments:

Post a Comment